This is made possible by BBC Foods
- 70g/2½oz medium egg noodles
- 50g/1¾oz frozen soya beans or frozen peas
- 1 carrot, peeled
- ½ small red pepper, seeds removed, sliced
- 75g/2¾oz mangetout, trimmed and halved lengthways
- 1 cooked boneless, skinless chicken breast (about 125g/4½oz)
- 4 spring onions, trimmed and finely sliced
- 1 long red chilli, finely sliced (deseeded if preferred)
- 15g/½oz fresh coriander leaves
- 10g/⅓oz fresh mint leaves
- 15g/½oz roasted cashew nuts, roughly chopped
For the dressing
- 3 tbsp water
- 3 tsp caster sugar
- ½–1 tsp dried chili flakes, to taste
- 4 tsp dark soy sauce
- 1 tsp toasted sesame oil
To make the dressing, place the water, sugar, and chili flakes in a small saucepan over low heat and warm gently until the sugar is dissolved.
Bring to the boil and cook for 30 seconds, stirring. Take off the heat and stir in the soy sauce and sesame oil.
Leave to cool.
Half-fill a saucepan with water and bring to a boil. Add the noodles and cook for 3 minutes, or according to the packet instructions.
Add the soya beans or peas to the noodles, stir well and then immediately drain in a colander.
Rinse the noodles and beans under cold running water until the mixture is completely cool. Tip into a large mixing bowl.
Carefully peel the carrot into long, wide ribbons or cut it into long, thin matchsticks.
Add the carrot, pepper, and mangetout to the noodle salad. Cut the chicken into thin slices and place in the bowl.
Pour the dressing into the bowl and toss so everything is well mixed. Add the spring onions, red chili, fresh herbs, and nuts to the bowl and toss lightly before serving.
Banner and Image Credit: BBC