This recipe is courtesy of BBC GoodFood.
- 100g/3½oz dried rice vermicelli noodles
- ½ medium red onion, finely sliced
- 1 large carrot, peeled and cut into thin matchsticks
- 1 small leek, or 3 spring onions, trimmed and cut into thin matchsticks
- 3 leaves Chinese leaf, green cabbage, or spring greens, trimmed and thinly shredded
- 1 tbsp sunflower or vegetable oil
- fresh chives or sliced spring onions and sliced red chili, to serve
For the curry paste
- 2 tsp medium curry powder
- ¼–½ tsp hot chili powder, to taste
- 1 tbsp light soy sauce
- ½ tsp dark soy sauce
- ½ tsp sesame oil
- Put the noodles in a large bowl and cover them with just-boiled water. Leave to stand for 2 minutes, then drain and spread out onto a clean tea towel. Pat and press until as dry as possible, then transfer to a bowl.
Mix all the ingredients for the curry paste in a small bowl until thoroughly combined.
Place the vegetables in a semi-circle on a plate. Arrange the bowl of noodles and the paste below to give a ‘wheel’ of ingredients.
Heat ½ tbsp of the oil in a wok over very high heat. Add the red onion and stir-fry for 10–15 seconds, then add the carrot. Add the leek and stir-fry for a further 10 seconds before adding a little more oil and the leaves. Stir-fry for 10–15 seconds more. Move all the vegetables to the sides of the wok.
- Add another teaspoon of oil, wait for the wok to be smoking hot, then toss the noodles in the middle.
- Fry for a few seconds
Finally, add the curry paste and stir-fry with the noodles and vegetables for 20–30 seconds more. Divide between two warmed bowls, scatter over chives or spring onions and red chili to serve.
Banner and Image Credit: BBC