This is made possible by BBC Foods!
- 1kg/2lb 4oz mixed ripe tomatoes, roughly chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, roughly chopped
- 1 handful fresh basil leaves, plus extra to serve
- 1 tbsp tomato purée
- 4 tbsp olive oil, plus extra to serve
- 400-600ml/14-21fl oz hot vegetable stock
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2-3 tbsp caster sugar, to taste
- 150ml/5fl oz double cream, plus extra to serve
- 1 ciabatta loaf, thickly sliced, to serve
Heat a saucepan over high heat. When the pan is hot, add the tomatoes and fry for 4 minutes.
Add the garlic, basil, tomato purée, and two tablespoons of olive oil.
Continue to cook for a further 1 minute.
Pour in 400ml hot vegetable stock, bring the mixture to the boil, then reduce the heat until the mixture is simmering.
Simmer for 3-4 minutes.
Depending on the water content of your tomatoes, you may need to add more stock to reach a good consistency.
Once ready, remove the pan from the heat and use a stick blender to carefully blend to a purée.
Return the pan to lowish heat to warm through and season, to taste, with salt, freshly ground black pepper, and sugar.
Pour in the cream and return the mixture to a simmer.
Continue to simmer for a further 2 minutes.
Meanwhile, brush the ciabatta slices with the remaining two tablespoons of olive oil.
Heat a griddle pan until hot, add the ciabatta slices, in batches if necessary, and cook for 1 minute on each side.
To serve, ladle the soup into four serving bowls. Drizzle a swirl of double cream into each bowl, then a swirl of olive oil, to garnish. Sprinkle over a few basil leaves.
Banner and Image Credit: BBC
Leave a Reply
You must be logged in to post a comment.