August 15, 2019
Rice and peas
- 400g kidney beans (rinsed and drained)
- 400ml can of low fat coconut milk
- 6 spring onions (sliced)
- 1/2 tsp dried thyme
- 1/2 tsp ground allspice
- 200g long grain rice
- Put the beans, coconut milk, thyme, allspice, 4 of the spring onions and 100ml water in a pan, and bring to a simmer. Season with plenty of salt and black pepper.
- Rinse the rice a few times in a sieve until the water runs clear. Tip into the pan and simmer for 10 minutes over a medium heat, stirring occasionally, before lowering the heat. Put the lid on and cook for another 5 minutes until the grains are tender and the liquid has been absorbed.
- Fluff up the rice with a fork before serving and scatter with the reserved spring onions.
Leave a Reply
You must be logged in to post a comment.