Meat Free Shepherd Pie
No meat meals do not have to be dull and tasteless. Here is a shepherds pie recipe with meat ingredients swapped, shepherds pie is a classic meal in the United Kingdom, it is red meat and vegetables topped with mash potatoes.
- 50g butter
- 2 onions (chopped)
- 4 carrots (diced)
- 1 head of celery (chopped)
- 2 bay leaves
- 4 garlic cloves (finally chopped)
- 7L vegetable stock
- 3 tbsp tomato purée
- 100ml red wine
- 500g packed dried green lentils
- 200g pack chestnut mushrooms (sliced)
- 1 tbsp dried thyme
For the topping
- 2kg floury potato
- 85g butter
- 100ml milk
- 50g cheddar (grated)
- Sauce: heat 50g butter in a pan then gently fry 2 chopped onions, 4 diced carrots, 1 chopped head of celery and 4 finely chopped garlic cloves for 15 minutes. Until soft.
- Turn the heat up, add 200g sliced chestnut mushrooms, cook for 4 minutes.
- Stir in 2 bay leaves and 1 tbsp dried thyme, then add 500g green lentils. Pour in 100ml red wine and 1.7L vegetable stock
- Simmer for 40-50 mins until lentils are soft
- Take off heat and stir in 3 tbsp tomato puré
- While the lentils are cooking, tip 2kg floury potatoes into a pan of water then boil for 15 minutes until tender.
- Drain the potatoes, mash with 85g butter and 100ml milk, season with salt and pepper
- Put lentil mixture into a serving dish and top with mash
- Scatter over 50g grated cheese and put in the oven (heat 190C/fan 170C/ gas 5) bake for 30 minutes or until top is golden