March 28, 2023
This is made possible by BBC Foods!
- 1½ tbsp olive oil, plus extra for greasing
- 4 sheets filo pastry, roughly half a pack
- 100g/3½oz mature cheddar, finely grated
- 5 tbsp single cream
- 1 large leek, trimmed and very thinly sliced
- salt and black pepper
To serve (optional)
- 4 medium potatoes, well-scrubbed
- 300g/10½oz frozen peas
Before starting this, make sure to preheat the oven to 200C/180C Fan/Gas 6.
- Lightly oil a 20cm/8in square cake tin with a removable base.
- If using, rub the potatoes with a thin layer of oil, and sprinkle with salt.
- Prick them all over with a fork and bake in the oven for 45 minutes.
- Meanwhile, make the tart. One at a time, lightly brush a filo pastry sheet with a little of the oil and place in the tin, pressing gently into the base and up the sides of the tin.
- Arrange the next lightly oiled pastry sheet at right angles to the first. Repeat with two more layers, leaving a flat base and frilly edges.
- Mix the cheese with the cream to make a soft paste.
- Drop teaspoonfuls of the paste over the pastry case and spread lightly with the back of a spoon, taking care not to tear the pastry.
- Top the cheese mixture with the sliced leek and season with a little black pepper.
- If the pastry edges hang over the tin too much, roll loosely back towards the filling.
- Bake the tart for about 25 minutes.
- Remove from the oven to cool slightly.
- If using, cook the peas according to the packet instructions, then drain.
- Serve a slice of tart just as it is, or with a jacket potato and the peas alongside.
Banner and Image Credit: BBC
Leave a Reply
You must be logged in to post a comment.