Penrith, Cumbria CA10 2BY
- Visit English Heritage Website
Standing 6.4 metres high and 50 metres across at its base Mayburgh Henge was built with pebbles brought from the two nearby rivers. Enclosing an area of around 87 metres in diameter, it is likely that it originally contained at least one circle of standing stones with two pairs of standing stones flanking the entrance. records from 1725 indicate the existence of two circles, which makes the single surviving monolith, presiding alone over the wide empty space we see today, seem all the more poignant.
Mayburgh Henge is maintained by the English Heritage.